When I reflect on my goals for last year, I have to laugh. The word I felt the Lord laid on my heart was “rhythm.”
I started 2016 with the best of intentions, looking forward to getting our home of five into a well-functioning routine. Then, the year took a turn that threw us out of anything rhythm orientated. It was not bad and was probably the Lord working to grow me in other areas.
A recap of 2016:
- In March, we decided to move in with Dan’s parents. Our time here was full of fun memories!
- We made trips to VA Beach and to the Outer Banks.
- We dealt with major business decisions.
- We spent almost two weeks at the hospital trying to care for my Papa and to soak up every moment with him before he passed. This was probably the most difficult part of our year.
- In November, we moved into my mom’s house as she decided to move out, and did some major home projects.
As I look back, I see all the blessings that we were given in the midst of what felt like a whirlwind. Most of our year seemed to be either unpacking or packing or organizing. To be honest, I hope that 2017 holds a bit more of a slower pace. But I know that no matter what comes our way this year, the Lord is good and He cares for us.
Present. When I prayed for a word for this year, this is the one that kept coming to mind. I want to grow in being present. Being fully there and fully engaged. I know this will take a lot of dying to myself as I am task oriented and have a hard time being still if everything is not the way I want it to look. I want that to change! I want to soak up moments. I want to really listen. I want to be all there wherever I am.
With this comes specific goals I have for 2017.
- Major Pullback on Social Media. Social Media is so fun! And it can make us feel much less lonely as a mom. I love learning from others and gaining new ideas for our home. All in all, it’s not a bad thing! But, the comparison game as been strong lately for me. And I do not want to be focused on “capturing” the moment. I want to be IN the moment. I am not 100% sure what this is going to look like yet, but I am excited!
- Growing in the Presence of God. I have a goal to inductively study every book of the Bible, knowing full well this will take many years. I started in the book of Galatians at the end of the year and will begin on Micah when that is done. I would love to have you join me! Contact me if you are interested.
- Growing in Presence with others. This looks like growing as a friend, digging deep with my mom’s group, loving our neighbors, and choosing a place to serve for our family.
- Growing in Presence with Family. We desire to get back to consistent date nights (I think this is a goal every year!), date our children, and enact Sabbath for our family.
- Dig into my passions!! For YEARS now, I have desired to become a doula. So, this year I will start the certification process. Ask me! Hold me accountable to doing this. 🙂
I love having goals to bring into vision what I feel like the Lord is calling me to this year. I am excited to dig in and learn what presence looks like. I know God will be faithful to teach me! Here’s to 2017!